Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse Dead at the Tender Age of 27. Rest in Peace Amy.


Singer/songwriter Amy Winehouse, dead at 27, from a suspected drug overdose, was not what I expected to see when I checked my facebook account this morning, but my reaction was what I found even more puzzling.

I don't know that I cried when Elvis died, or Michael Jackson, or any number of the other celebrities that have passed in my lifetime, but for some reason, Amy Winehouse was different. Maybe it was because she was so young, maybe it was because she was a tortured soul; addicted to drugs and alcohol or maybe because she was a voice speaking for a lost generation, or because the writer in me identified with her, or maybe it was the voice of her friend, Kelly Osbourne, crying out on Twitter, ""I cant even breath right now I'm crying so hard i just lost 1 of my best friends. i love you forever Amy and will never forget the real you!"  Whatever the reason was, I found my self running for the tissue paper to blow my nose, and dry my eyes, for one of God's children that has so much  potential, but could not overcome her demon's.

Any Winehouse's voice is one that transcends generations; unique and captivating, with a soul searching depth that will outlive it's master for generations to come.  Rest In Peace Amy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog