Thursday, August 2, 2012

If You Support Chick-Fil-A Does it Mean You Hate Gays?

For the most part, this blog is just me thinking out loud. If I sound confused at times it is because I am.  I always try and seek fairness in what I do, and weighing the pros and cons of different situations, at times, has no easy answers.

 Chick-Fil-A President, Dan Cathy, found himself in a storm of controversy when he came out and said it is his belief that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Gay people are calling him and all Christians "Haters" for simply supporting him and his right to believe the way he does.  However, I see more hate against Christians, coming from the gay community, rather than the other way around.

Reading articles on the Huffington Post, that are always pro gay and anti-Christian, infuriate me, and as a writer I simply have to respond.

All of us have a tough time living up to the ideals set in the Bible for us to follow.  We all, as humans, are imperfect, make mistakes, and have weaknesses that we fight on a continual basis on our quest to become better human beings.

The one thing I believe that is ignored by both sides of this argument is "Freewill" which was given to us by our creator.  As long as I'm not infringing on your rights, you should not infringe on mine, is the way I believe.

However, if we change the definition of marriage to suit one group, where do you draw the line?

Is it right for a person that is gay to demand they be married in a Christian Church that believes homo sexuality is wrong?  To do that, you are infringing on the rights of others to religious freedom.

On the other hand, you simply can not legislate what you consider to be moral and demand everyone else go by your belief's.  We should spend more time trying to make our own lives better, loving our fellow man, and letting God sort everything else out, that is his job, not ours.  If we all spent more time praying for each other rather than trying to legislate or protest, the whole country would be better off.

I have friends that are gay, and I love them, I have friends that are straight, and I love them, I have friends that are Christian, and I love them, I have friends that don't even believe God exist, and I love them.

Mutual respect is what is needed here.  I may not agree with how you live your life and you may not agree with how I live mine;  it does not mean we should be enemies, but it also means your rights should not negate mine.

Mr. Cathy is not saying he hates gays, or refuses to hire gays, he is merely stating he thinks it is wrong and he has the right to freedom of speech, and I fully support him in that right.

However, that being said, I have something to say on the other side of this argument.

I remember when one of my kids was small, and another child went to the same day care as him, and that child was born with male and female parts. The parents had to decide whether that child was going to be a boy or a girl. I often wonder what happened to that child, and if that child had a problem as he grew into an adult, felling either male or female.

I'm sure being gay is not an easy choice, and a person can't help who they are attracted to, and for most, they would probably rather be straight cause it would make their life a lot easier.

I also know people that once considered themselves gay, and part of what drove them to it was the taunting of other children, because they were boys and had feminine characteristics. Who is responsible for that?  I would say it is those that are allowed to bully and make fun of others because they may be different from the norm.

In another case, a wonderful young man I know, considered himself gay.  However, he became a Christian and realized that he had always felt unloved by his father and as a result, he felt the only way he could be loved by a man was to seduce or be seduced by one.  It was not someone else's moral opinion that changed his mind, it wasn't legislated morality, it was a mere calling by God to seek a different way.

Still there are others that will tell you they were born gay, and I do not live inside their body, so I'm not going to make a judgement call on them.  It simply isn't my place to do so, nor is it anyone else's place.

People should be free to believe the way they believe, free from attacks by others, and by the same token, people should be free to do with their God given bodies, what they choose to do with them.  If you think a person lives a lifestyle that is in disagreements with your belief's, then your job is to love that person and pray for them.

By the same token,  trying to run a person out of business because they believe different from you does not give you the right to try and ruin their business or tell that person, "Your business is not welcome in our town".  You will not change that person's belief's by boycotting their business, and you should not infringe on their freedom of speech. Respect works both ways.

If you are gay and you want tolerance, you must show tolerance, and if you are Christian, and you want people to respect your belief's, then you must show respect for their choices.  It does not mean you have to agree with them or condone what you consider bad behavior, it simply means, we live in a free country and each person should be free to make their own choices.  The only person we can control in this world is ourselves, and most of us have a hard time doing that.

The Bible says, "Let those of you without sin cast the first stone". And when attacked by another, turn the other cheek.  Grace was what was imparted to us on the cross and it is free to all men.

All I know is what the bible says, and all I can do, is do my best to follow those words.  It says what it says, and there are things I do that at times that differ from the word, but I will not try and change it to suit my own wants, and I'm not going to have someone else tell me that  it or what I believe should be changed to suit theirs.  I won't try and force you to go by my belief's, and neither should you try and force me to go by yours. That is what freedom is truly about.

I'm sure some will disagree with me on this from both sides, and I don't claim to know all the answers, this is only my thoughts in the search for answers.  I welcome all comments from both sides.




















2 comments:

  1. Well said, I feel the same way you do. It's not our job to judge anyone, we just need to live and let live. My Granddaughter is Gay; it is totally against the way I was raised or the way I believe. My Granddaughter is the most wonderful young lady, she is kind, considerate, she is a hard worker and she loves her family. I love her and I just want her to be the best person she can be regardless of her sexual ordination. I can’t change her and I am not going to quit loving her or treat her like she has some kind of disease. I don’t understand it but there are a lot of things I don’t understand. I pray for all of my Grandchildren and I leave it up to God to do the Judging. Does God Love Gay People? I believe the answer is yes, and if he does we should too! There are other things that are worse. If I had a choice of having a gay in the family or a murderer or rapist I will take the my gay granddaughter any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vohaced akoqav eyazoyorac ix azosujuv ibapoqexeq rocal, pumidegupa.
    Xozarik vak iwakitey osujen, zexujopehe Bali Mojo dayisupij eI esojisu disum mupo kivituc.
    Yaxi kukigexu uxe:: Bali Mojo

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog